
The Tall One's assistant basketball coach and his wife had a baby a couple of months ago. We got to see her Tuesday after the volleyball match. A precious, tiny thing with a head full of dark hair, bright eyes, and perfect skin. My children are 6'4", 6' and 5'4", and I can't help but think that they were never that small, but I suppose they were once. Hard to believe, looking at them now, but we all have to grow up sometime.
Last night the BMWs got together again, not to work but to enjoy each other's company for a very relaxing evening at one of Nashville's treasures, a restaurant called The Mad Platter. One of the ladies in our group is not only a writer but also a gifted artist, and a show of her paintings is on display there. So the group got together for dinner and a quick once-around tour of her paintings. I wish I could describe the vibrant colors and vivid imagery that she captures so well. JT made the observation that this lady's "talent leaps off the canvas", and she's so right.
The conversation turned to a recent celebration of a "six-month anniversary" (no details here to protect privacy, sorry), and JT says that half-birthdays count, too. I used to think that when I was younger, but then forgot about it once my twenties were history. But her comment got me to thinking, this Saturday I will be 39-1/2. So as I contemplate the fact that I will be 40 in six months, I must also contemplate whether I've accomplished the things in my life that I had hoped to accomplish by this milestone.
I went through a period of minor trauma 9-1/2 years ago, when I turned 30. (Okay, it was more than minor - I had a major meltdown.) The WGH and the WMVR decided (quite unwisely, I might add) to throw me a surprise birthday party. It was not a good idea. But I've gotten past it. Forgiven them for doing it and forgiven myself for getting so bent out of shape about it. What upset me so much was that I thought I wasn't where I needed to be in my life. Now I'm on the sunny side of 40 and I'm asking myself the same questions. Only this time I have more satisfactory answers.
Our Sunday school teacher, who turned 40 within the last year, says that he's viewing the next 40 years as "the second half of his life", and we're to ask ourselves, is the second half going to be better than the first half?
You know what I'm thinking?
Oh, heck, yeah! Bring it on, baby!
Happy half-birthday to me, happy half-birthday to me ...
Yesterday there was more editing done:
75,861 / 90,000 (84.3%) |
I reached a point where I need to write new material and fix some plot connectivity issues, so that's on my plate this morning. I was hoping to have this thing finished by the time I turn 39-1/2. With tomorrow and Saturday being pretty much free and clear, I just might get there.
Read a book. It's good for you!
=) JB

No comments:
Post a Comment