6.21.2006

So little time ...

Today is the first day of summer, at least on our side of the globe. The year is nearly half gone, and I'm sitting here wondering what I've accomplished and thinking of all the things I'd like to do.

In yesterday's mail there was a notice that The Tall One's senior pictures are ready. Okay, the pictures are ready. I'm not. Not ready for my oldest child to be a senior in high school with college basketball coaches LOOKING AT HER while she's at team camp. I mean, it's exciting but it scares the crap out of me at the same time. This is my firstborn, the one the WGH and I call our "responsibility child" - because we were newlywed and carefree, not really giving much thought to being responsible adults, and then ... oh, by the way, you're having a baby. Holy bassinettes, Batman! You mean we gotta get real jobs?? Pay bills? Buy groceries?

That was almost 17 years ago, and it would take me more time than we have to fill you in on everything that's happened over those 17 years. Suffice to say there has been enough to make me think I'm supposed to be a grown-up now. Well, duh.

This past Sunday marked two years since I left my full-time job so that I could spend more time with the kids and on my writing. The writing may be coming along a little more slowly than I'd planned, but the time I've been able to spend with my children has more than made up for anything I've not done.

What I'm trying to do now is look to the future instead of regretting how quickly the past has gone by. Thinking ahead. Just not too far. Little Bit is only 12, but she'll be her sister's age before I'm ready, and I don't want to be sitting here five years from now writing this same post all over again.

So, there are things to do, places to go and people to see. So much to do ...

Music of the Moment: The Great Gate at Kiev, from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition

Majestic.

Spend some time with someone you love today. It's good for you!

=) JB

2 comments:

Sandra Ruttan said...

I think it's wise to look ahead instead of back. You can't change your yesterdays, but you can make better tomorrows.

JT Ellison said...

What a great post. I love that you're setting goals and making decisions that affect the next few years. You rule, sugar!
Okay, what does the word verification say---
jgjgs
Getting jiggy wit it!