I've been working hard on this manuscript for the last several weeks, and I think it might actually be taking shape. The BMWs are not going to recognize it when they read it again in its "final" form. Funny how one tiny suggestion from a critique group member can turn a scene into something completely different. (And now for something completely different ...)
It's interesting and enlightening to read some of the comments and suggestions made by my fellow wordsmiths. We've been working on this book, 10-12 pages at a time, for nearly a year. I don't always go back and read the comments right after a meeting. Sometimes I skim through them the next day to see if there's anything that's going to affect what's next or make me have to change something I've already done. Most of the time I wait until we're through the draft, and then go back and incorporate some of the comments.
This time around, I did what I could do myself, then dug out all my file folders with the group notes and am going through them one by one, section by section, looking hard at the comments and seeing what needs to be done, changed, fixed, or added. The other night I came across a completely shocking correction made by one of the more conservative members of the group and I about fell out of my chair. I never knew she had it in her. (I will not embarrass her by listing said notation here, it's really just too shocking. Funny as all get out, but shocking nonetheless.)
Since today is Friday, quite possibly my most favorite day of the week, I get to do lots of things without the constraints of time that my Mondays through Thursdays have. I work a little part-time job (from home, tres sweet) which requires my attention from two to six each afternoon, so I really have to bust a little tail to get something accomplished from eight to two each day. On Fridays I can relax a little, think more freely and really get some serious work done.
The Boy is having a Lord of the Rings movie marathon party with a couple of his friends this afternoon/evening, so we're going to stock up on enough groceries to feed five teenagers for nine hours (yeah, I know - two carts, probably) and then I am going to hide in my study for the rest of the day. Hey, I have 65 books in the TBR pile and a computer - what more do I need?
Enjoy your Friday. Do something outside if it's pretty where you are. Sit on the deck and read a book. Ooooh, now there's an idea ...
=) JB
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Funny -- we approach the comments from group in opposite ways. I go home, read the comments that night, and the following day, make whatever changes are necessary. I never go forward without doing that. Strange, huh???
Enjoy your Friday!
Sounds like you guys have a good group. Lucky ducks!
Post a Comment