A while ago I mentioned having watched a terrific little British movie entitled Mrs. Henderson Presents and that I would post a review on it. This is another feature of the blog that I hope to continue. I've always said being a movie critic would be the ideal job for me because it would combine the two things I enjoy the most (outside of my family, of course) - writing and watching movies.
To wit, my first "official" movie review is below. Don't know if I've done it right, but I'm one of those who likes to dive into things and learn the rules as I go along (as evidenced by my writing career).
Mrs. Henderson Presents
The Weinstein Group, 2005
Rated R
103 minutes
available on DVD
Judi Dench, Bob Hoskins, Christopher Guest
Widow Laura Henderson (Dench) isn't about to spend her remaining years sitting around the house playing bridge. Having already cultivated an offbeat reputation among high society in 1930s London, Mrs. Henderson embarks on her newest adventure: the transformation of an old movie house into The Windmill Theater, a space that will host continuous performances of a musical revue. The infamous showman Vivian Van Dam (Hoskins) becomes her partner and fiercest opponent.
The Germans are bombing London but the roar of the Windmill is all that can be heard, as Laura convinces Lord Cromer (Guest) to allow her actresses to be the one thing no one could ever imagine – nude. Members of her social circle don't quite know what to make of Mrs. Henderson's controversial enterprise, a shocking venture that has everyone up in arms. Brought to its knees by war, what Mrs. Henderson Presents brings a nation to its feet in applause.
It was a happy coincidence that I came across this movie while looking into a completely different one. I thought the premise sounded appealing, and after seeing it I can only say its charm and poignancy made the effort entirely worthwhile.
Mrs. Henderson Presents marks Hoskins' 55th appearance in a feature film, and thoroughly emphasizes his versatility after portraying such characters as Eddie Valiant in Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), Sancho Panza to John Lithgow's Don Quixote (2000) and the bumbling but lovable Smee opposite Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams in Hook (1991). Dench is best known for her television work, especially in Britain, but has a fair number of movies in her pocket as well, including a turn as "M" to Pierce Brosnan's James Bond in Goldeneye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), The World is Not Enough (1999), and Die Another Day (2002), and as Queen Elizabeth in Shakespeare in Love (1998) with Gwyneth Paltrow and Joseph Fiennes.
If you can imagine chemistry between two people of a certain maturity, Dench and Hoskins have captured the essence of it in this delightful film, although their interactions are never of a romantic nature. An equally excellent supporting cast surrounds these two outstanding actors. The story's overall cheek is tempered by the devastating effects of the war that rages around the city of London and its people, especially the soldiers and those who love them. Dench's character has a naive self-centeredness that becomes unfathomably heartbreaking when her true motivation for opening the theater is revealed.
If you're looking for a cozy afternoon huddle up on the couch kind of flick, I'd recommend Mrs. Henderson Presents. Just make sure the kids aren't in the room – it's rated R for brief language, mature themes, and of course, full nudity (female and male) - although tastefully done, it can be a bit of a shock.
Now, back to that other thing I love to do. I did some tremendously helpful research yesterday, and the WIP is coming along swimmingly.
In case you haven't, check out Sarah Weinman today - she mentions my triplet siblings by name and a link. Kudos, sibs!
Read a book. It's good for you.
=) JB
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment