5.24.2006

We're On Standby

I was supposed to pick up Nephew #1 from the airport this morning after Little Bit's awards program. The call came in last night. The Kona Kid was bumped off his Honolulu flight. Now the earliest he'll be here is sometime tomorrow afternoon. Poor guy. I don't even know the whole story - whether he made it from Kona to Honolulu and then didn't get on the flight to Houston, or whether he's still in Kona. If he's stuck at the airport in Honolulu with no way to get home again ... how does this stuff happen, anyway? Here's a 22-year-old kid, by himself, and all he wants to do is get home to see his brother graduate from high school. When I get the story, I'll share - I'm sure he won't mind venting. I might even let him tell you.

One small bright note is that this has freed up my morning somewhat, so after the program I'll be back here to work on more query letters.

Man, it's heck to be me. ;)

Read a book. It's good for you. I wonder if that's what the nephew is doing ...

=) JB

4 comments:

JT Ellison said...

Man, I can't imagine being stuck in an airport with nothing to read. I want to do a bad weather airport tour -- schedule myself for a flight to Chicago or JFK when I know there's going to be a blizzard, and bring along a suitcase full of books. To sell. There's a marketing ploy for ya!

Brett Battles said...

Oooh. J.T. What a great idea! You might be able to start a trend!

I remember something I read in Stephen King's "On Writing." He takes a book with him wherever he goes. So if he has a moment, he can read...standing in line at the post office, waiting in the car, etc. I don't always do that, but if I'm pretty sure I'll be facing some down time, I'll be sure to have a book along.

JT Ellison said...

I do the same thing. Heck, I take a book to the gym and ride the bike so I can get some reading done.
I think the Blizzard '07 tour should be fun. Who else wants to come? We can do specials.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Pros and Cons to everything - if I was stuck in an airport, I'd be reading or writing, for sure! I always carry something to read, something to write with and something to listen to.