5.25.2006

The Deadline (i.e. today's real post)

The preceding post was brought to you as a public service announcement. We now return you to our regularly scheduled musings.

Update on the Nephew: The voice mail I retrieved from my cell phone on the way to Little Bit's program yesterday morning confirmed that we'd had a slight miscommunication the night before - Nephew #1 was due in yesterday afternoon as opposed to today. Here, a la Paul Harvey, is the rest of the story:

My cell phone rang around 1:00 (about the time I was expecting him to be in Nashville). He was in Newark. (Yes, the one in New Jersey.) At that point he was on standby for the late afternoon flight (4:40 Eastern) and expected to arrive in Nashville at 6:10 Central. Okay, so I have writers' group but the WGH would be available to pick him up. Great. All is well.

The call at 3:45 informed me that the flight was delayed an hour. The call at 4:45 informed me that he was not able to get on that flight, but that Continental was gracious enough to confirm him on the later flight, which should put him in Nashville at 8:34. Okay, so the WGH can still pick him up. All is still well.

I call the WGH on my way home from BMWs. No sign of The Kona Kid's flight yet. It's almost 9:00, and the WGH has been at the airport since 8:15. Beginning to wonder if all is still well.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that his luggage has been in Nashville since 1:00. So the WGH had the suitcase but not the nephew.

When I got home I checked the Continental Airlines website and discovered that the flight had been delayed leaving Montreal and was subsequently delayed leaving Newark. According to the site it was due to arrive in Nashville at 10:11. Collective sigh of relief. All is well again.

The house phone rang at 10:40 with the final message from the WGH. "Have nephew, will travel. We're stopping at Taco Bell."

I am happy to report that Nephew #1 arrived safely at our house at 11:30 last night. He was asleep by 11:35.

After all that jet-setting, it turns out that he missed his first flight out of Kona and thus screwed up his entire itinerary from that point out. Bless his little young heart. Love ya, Kid, glad you're here.

The Deadline loometh. I'm going to take a moment to thank my adorable J.T. and the rest of the BMWs for their encouragement and support on the current WIP. It would not be shaping up like it is if it weren't for you, ladies.

It is my one and only goal today to get this draft near completion. It's near, just not quite near enough. No one is to disturb, interrupt or otherwise distract me from this purpose today, under threat of bodily injury. (Yeah, I'm vicious. Heh.)

If the storm doesn't take out my computer, I'm set.

Read a book. It's so very good for you.

=) JB

4 comments:

Brett Battles said...

Glad to hear the nephew arrived basically unscathed. I'm sure the WIP is going great. You've got the talent, that's for sure.

Jennifer Brooks said...

Awww, Brett, thanks! That's so sweet of you!

JT Ellison said...

She does have talent. Thank goodness we have no sibling rivalry!

Jennifer Brooks said...

You guyyyyyyys!! Now I'm blushing! Thanks loads for the ego boost - I'll let that carry me into a full day on the WIP tomorrow. ;)