10.20.2006

Insight

"When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about."
-- Albert Einstein

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

I like to do the Universal Crossword from ArcaMax every morning. It stimulates my brain, especially when the clues are play-on-words. (I'm a sucker for good word play. That's why I love Shakespeare so much.) This morning, 33-Across was a three-letter word for "It may be called on account of rain". The answer? C-A-B. It made me smile. Some of them make me groan, others I appreciate because they're just so darn clever.

Today is the WGH's birthday, and next month we will have known each other for 21 years. That's exactly half his life, but I'm sure he won't think of it that way. Do men think in those terms? It's been said that women are usually more insightful as far as emotional or sentimental things. It's just that we think about it, whereas all men want to do is make sure they remember their wives' birthdays and their anniversaries so as not to incur the wrath of their beloved. I'm one of those lucky women whose husband remembers all the "important stuff". He used to send me flowers at work for no reason. From the comic sense, it could be argued that he did that to make sure he didn't miss anything. But he always remembers the anniversary and birthday. One year he had to be out of town on our anniversary and he still managed to send me roses at the office that day. Let's pause for a moment for the collective, "Awwwww."

Yesterday I was talking about getting lost in the midst of writing. Sometimes I find myself doing that in other areas of my life. Have you ever been so wrapped up in something that you suddenly "wake up" and realize you're doing it without thinking about it? Every so often I have those little moments of insight. This morning I was making turtle brownies for our church's drama ministry coffeehouse tonight, and at one point I looked down and I was drying the mixing bowl, and for an instant it didn't feel like it was me doing it. It's a really weird feeling, and I've had it before. It's like the normalcy of doing things like that just pulls me out of myself so that it doesn't seem real. Is this a writer's curse? We get so involved in our characters' lives and the story they're embroiled in, whether it's a mystery or a romance or some life-or-death thriller situation, and because a writer's mind works 24/7, we forget we're real people with real lives, who have to do mundane, simple things like bake brownies and wash dishes.

Okay, maybe I'm the only one who's had this experience or even thinks this way. I talk to myself, too, which causes people around me to look at me with concern. But sometimes I'm playing out a scene that I'm having trouble getting my head around enough to get it on paper, and talking things out - yes, even carrying on full-blown conversations with myself - helps me pull it together.

You can call it batty. I call it creative. My daughter calls it evil genius.

Whatever works.

Countdown to deadline. 11 days. This afternoon I'm going to work hard on the WIP. We still have issues, but it's coming along.

Music of the Moment: The Sea and Sinbad's Ship, Nicolai Rimsky Korsakov, from Scheherazade, Symphonic Suite op. 35

Oooh, dark and scary. Perfect for writing about murder.

Book of the Week: Dark Pacific by David E. Meadows. I'm reserving judgment until I finish it - review will be posted to RTE in the near future.

If you're looking for something to read, check out some of the great titles in the Reading Room to the right. I have to go take brownies to church now.

Enjoy the day!

=) JB

2 comments:

JT Ellison said...

You are not alone. Unfortunately, I have those moments most often when I'm driving. I come back and realize I'm eaither in the right place or past it, and it's freaky.
Or when you're having a conversation with someone you've known forever and for a brief instant, they look like a stranger, and you ask yourself who is this person?
Okay, so we're twins and now we're hearing voices. Greeeeeaaaattttttt.....

JT Ellison said...

And apparently I can't spell -- either.