10.06.2006

Friday Funnies & Other Frivolity

Greetings from Spit-Take Central.

Put down all beverages and step away from the computer before reading this. Don't say I didn't warn you.

The Weather Channel actually used the phrase "abundant sunshine" in today's forecast. High of 69. I love this weather. Just about every window in the house is open. Air the place out, yeah! But it's also kind of cold this morning, so I'm doing the bundle-up thing - sweats, comfy socks, sweater over nightshirt. I could get dressed, but that would mean I'd have to take a shower, which I'm not in the mood for right now. Too much other crap to do.

The shopping trip. Work yesterday was horrific. Abysmal. I told JT I couldn't think of enough appropriate swear words to use, so I just wasn't going to talk about it. And I'm not. But, I finished my shift right about the time The Boy got home from band practice, so we loaded up the car and went in search of shoes. First, we hit Wal-Mart. Now, sometimes Wal-Mart has really cute shoes. And they did last night. Just not in size 11, which is what The Tall One wears. She has little feet for someone her height, but sled-runners compared to the rest of us, right? So it's hard to find shoes for her, especially when said shoes must be black, flat, strappy, comfortable and cute all at the same time. We did find one pair of really cute little princess looking shoes (I hear you laughing, those of you who know my daughter know she is not a princess by any stretch of the imagination), but they were size 10. She says, "I can wear them for an hour." Um, no, kid. You're not going to cram your toes into these little instruments of torture and expect to walk across a football field and then stand there for 20 minutes while everyone else walks across the football field. No. Not happening.

One very helpful young salesperson, a local, thank goodness, told us there was a Shoe Show up around the corner on the main highway. Halle-flippin'-luia. We walked in 10 minutes before they were supposed to close and walked out 10 minutes later with four pair of the cutest little slipper-shoes, three black, one navy, two in size 11 and two in size 9 (Little Bit needed some, too). For 18 bucks. Total. I wish I could do justice to the hilarious imitation of Liberace my son did when we saw the "Buy One Pair, Get One 1/2 Off" signs in the window - "OH!" he gushed, "I just LOVE sales!" He didn't do Liberace on purpose, really. He was kidding around. I just nearly fell over laughing to see my very masculine son doing the dance of joy a la Carson Kressley. Guess you had to be there.

Festivities. Tonight is Homecoming. There's a parade this afternoon (first in the school's 9-year history), so The Tall One gets to ride in a convertible with her escort and The Boy will be marching in the band. Short and sweet (we hope). Then it's off to the game and all the fun there, and before we know it we'll be packing up and heading home again. These little moments go by too fast, especially as we get older - I'm waxing nostalgic again, remembering my child's birth and then picturing her in that dress and those shoes and on the arm of a guy in a suit as she's introduced as the Basketball Sweetheart. They grow up too fast. If you have kids, enjoy them.

Today I'm devoting some time to my other baby - the current WIP. I made myself a promise to not work on it this week until today, and I lived up to that promise. All the other things I had to do, I did, and now it's time to get down to some serious work. I found a perfect quote today:

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else."
-- James M. Barrie, Scottish dramatist & novelist (1860 - 1937), author of Peter Pan

[I discovered just then that the font works better when you type it correctly into the HTML code. There doesn't seem to be a font called "times new woman".]

I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing right now. Can you?

Do good for you things today. Enjoy the abundant sunshine if you have it where you are. Watch a parade. Read a book.

=) JB

No comments: