With apologies to the adorable Dave White for scarping the title of his debut novel, I am here again with a very sad story (sniff) about my poor pitiful existence and the trials and tribulations of living one's life in an electronic world ... as I'm sure the title of this post implies, my computer - the sweet little practically brand-new, bought directly from the Dell scratch-n-dent shop laptop, a refurb with NO bugs or problems - died.
Apparently, I did something stupid.
And the consequences were, of course, dire.
The first thing it meant was that I lost two months' worth of emails. So if you've emailed me in the past two months, chances are you have gone off into the cyberspace void that my C-drive became before we restored it to the factory defaults. Sigh. Write me again, because it's not that I don't love you. Really.
The second - and quite the more dangerous and potentially catastrophic - problem was that all my recent files were on this thing. You know, like, oh, I don't know, the MANUSCRIPT for the latest book (upon which I worked very hard and which was quite darn good if I say so myself)...
Not to mention two very important Excel spreadsheets, one of which contains the family budget, a very complex workbook I'm not too keen on having to recreate.
Oy.
But don't fear, gentle reader ... yes, there is a bright side, a happy ending to this tale of woe.
Enter the Geek Squad.
I love these people. They have the glorious ability to figure out exactly what stupid thing I did, enlighten me lest it happen again, and assure me that I'm not the only stupid person in the world who has ever done this. That, and they were able to hook my hard drive up to some brilliant contraption that actually recovered my files. All of them. Manuscript, spreadsheet, pictures, music, the hot off the cutting room floor video I created in Windows Movie Maker ... everything.
Except the emails. Those are history. Gone. Vanished. Kaput. Pfft. Sorry.
I'm learning more lessons here. First, backup everything. I know, I know - most of you very smart people do this already. Spare me. I wasn't quite to that stage yet. But I'm getting there now.
Second, I'm deleting emails as soon as I'm finished with them. If there's some important piece of information I need to keep for posterity, I'm saving it to another file (and then backing that up, right?). Otherwise, it's outta here. No more clutter and nonsense to ... well, lose, if I happen to do that stupid thing again in future.
Ah, me.
I'm slowly but surely making my way back to the surface of the vast ocean of insanity in which I've been drowning the past few months, so bear with me while I learn to breathe properly again. I've a to-do list a mile long, and somewhere on it there are lots of good things that will make us all happy again ...
In the meantime, read a book. It's good for you.
=) JB
"It is not what we learn in conversation that enriches us. It is the elation that comes of swift contact with tingling currents of thought."
-- Agnes Repplier (1858-1950) American writer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey JB!
I’m Gina, Communities Connection Manager at Best Buy. We frequently review our customers’ blog and forum posts to gain insight into their experiences.
Positive experiences like yours are the goal of our company. I am so glad to hear that our Geek Squad Agents were able to recover your manuscript and other files! Thank you for taking the time to recognize their valiant efforts on your personal blog. Customer recognition is the highest form of praise we can receive.
Performing regular data backup is imperative to protecting your data. While Geek Squad and Best Buy offer several solutions to help our customers with their data backup needs, the most important element is to backup consistently. Personally, I backup essential files to a flash drive as needed and backup all my important files to an external hard drive on a monthly basis. This is a system that works well for me. Getting into a regular data backup rhythm can be tough at first, but it is definitely worth it in the long-term.
Again, I am glad you had such a positive experience with our Geek Squad, and I thank you for blogging about it. We really do appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Gina, Best Buy’s Community Connection Manager
Connecting with technology for a better tomorrow
Issue #47471136
Wow, Gina - thanks for leaving such an in-depth comment. I did have a very positive experience and am grateful for all the information. Don't suppose I could get a discount on a flash drive for plugging the Geek Squad, huh? ;)
Post a Comment