4.15.2008

Sunshine in a Glass

When he was about two or so, Nephew #1 (who is now 24) couldn't say my name properly, and because he knew I liked to drink it, he started calling me Aunt Orange Juice. To this day I still sign notes to him "Aunt OJ". It's our little just-between-us thing.

I also still like to drink it. Picture it ... a glass full of vibrant, bright, sunshiney juice, just waiting to jump start your day.

Now, throw about 2 ounces of grape juice into that, and you have my absolute all-time favorite breakfast drink. [insert long sigh of content here]

The point of this story? Character quirks.

You know I'm forever talking about character development, and about how the best character study you can do is to model your people after ... well, real people.

My main character in my third manuscript drinks grape-OJ when she's stressed out. That's how those people close to her know when something's wrong. I even wrote a scene where she makes it for someone else because he's had a long, stressful day.

There are a lot of great characters out there who have funny little quirks. It's what makes them unique. It's also what makes them SALABLE. Yes, that's a real word, at least in our business. Unique and different are good things. Admit it, you don't want to read a book that has the same old, same old, right? So we try not to write the same old, same old.

We're doing it just for you - isn't that nice of us? ;)

Lots of things going on at the Thompson household today. Much reading and writing is being done, but much other stuff as well, so we're off do those things ...

Read a book!

=) JB

"People seldom see the halting and painful steps by which the most insignificant success is achieved."
--Annie Sullivan (1866-1936) American educator (notably of Helen Keller)

No comments: