I haven't had a week this long in ages. I know what you're thinking. I'm a wimp.
You would be correct. I am a wimp. Actually, that's probably not the right word. Spoiled is probably the more accurate term.
After I quit my job three years ago (three years and 10 days, but who's counting?), it didn't take me long to become accustomed to the FREEDOM of being able to putter around town in the middle of the day, run errands (making six stops and being back home in less than half an hour), and write whenever the heck I wanted to - for hours on end. The day job does get in the way a little bit sometimes, but at least it's not an hour's drive into the city, slave away at a desk/computer/telephone for eight hours, drive an hour home, fix dinner and then fall onto the couch because I'm just too darn tired to do anything else.
If you do this every day, more power to you.
Like I said, I'm spoiled.
That's not to say I'm not working. We've been in this neighborhood before. The kids (and yes, sometimes the WGH) ask the age-old question, "What do you do all day?" and I go on a rant and tear, waving my to-do list in front of their faces. Being a writer is work, plain and simple, and woe to he who says otherwise.
I actually did run errands on my "lunch hour" today, with the WGH, and we even managed to cram in a bite of lunch. Imagine that - a lunch hour where you actually eat lunch. If I'd had to run all the errands we ran today on my lunch hour at the old job? There would've been zero time for the "lunch" part.
Life is good.
And yes, I'll say it again - spoiled. Rotten like the lemon meringue pie I accidentally left hidden away in a drawer for two weeks when I was 12. Yeah, someday I'll have to tell you that story.
Today, praise God, was the last day I had to work eight hours. Tomorrow I work four. Yes, I know, it's Friday and Friday is normally my day off. We're still in the make-up zone. But after 1 pm tomorrow, I'm done until Sunday afternoon, and I plan to spend the entire weekend glued to this chair, writing and editing and taking care of a few other various and sundry items that have been patiently awaiting my attention.
Heeee-woo.
Read a book. It's good for you. I'll be back again tomorrow.
=) JB
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment