11.12.2006

Pause and Effect

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."
seen on a church marquee

Last night, The Boy went to a birthday party for a friend from band while the rest of us went to the chili supper. I had to go pick him up at somewhere around midnight (yawn). On the way home, we were talking about the homemade card he had drawn up for his friend (sort of a traditional thing with him), and he asked me if he had used the ellipses correctly. (I told you he had my brain.) Anyway, he said some people used a comma, so we talked about the difference between a comma and an ellipsis. A comma, I said, is a short pause. An ellipsis is a pause used for effect. He said, "Pause and effect! Ah-hah-hah ..."

The Boy does have my sense of humor. Of course, at midnight, just about anything is funny. (By the way, he did use the ellipsis correctly.)

I made a little more progress on Book Two last night after we got home. Since I have the basics down, I'm more or less filling in holes at this point. The church marquee from which I got the above quote is near the grocery store in our tiny town, and when I went up to get the newspaper this morning it struck me again - wisdom like that always inspires me. That, and JT has threatened me with bodily harm ;) if I don't get a few things submitted that I've written (one short story in particular), so I'm trying to get my act together yet again.

Today is a ketchup day. There's football to watch, work to do, words to write ...

Sundays are good for recharging your batteries. Read a book. Enjoy the day.

=) JB

P.S. - This is actually getting posted at 10:35 p.m. instead of the original 9:20 a.m. due to some apparent connectivity issues.

Updated Word Count: 7,104 for NaNoWriMo total. We're at 52,194 on Book Two.

No comments: