"Slow and steady wins the race."
-- The Tortoise and The Hare (Aesop's Fables)
In the meantime, I took a nose-dive into Book Two just to refamiliarize myself with the story. Considering I haven't looked at it in nearly a year, I was rather pleasantly surprised by some of what I'd written. It's actually not half bad, if I say so myself, and I might just be able to make a book out of it. For those of you who are itching to know, it's the third book following the two I already have published [yep, the FBI's 3J team is back - see my website for details =) ].
Mother and Dad are heading down today to spend the weekend (well, Thursday night to next Wednesday) doing family things. They'll actually get to see all three kids do their respective thing - Little Bit has a Veterans' Day concert tomorrow afternoon at the middle school, The Boy will be performing with the high school band at our second playoff game (go, team!), the Basketball Boosters' 2nd Annual Chili Supper & Auction is Saturday night, and Tuesday is our first home basketball game (again, go team!). There's a big kick-off celebration/community pep rally at the high school tonight, where they'll introduce the men's and women's teams (that would be The Tall One), the coaches, the cheerleaders and the dance team, and all of them will do some kind of exhibition for the spectators. Should be fun, at least for those of us who live, sleep, eat and breathe basketball starting in November. My parents might be a bit worn out by next week, so you guys send some energy their way, 'kay?
My other hats are calling me today, so I'm hoping to find as much time to write as I can. Here's a quick update on the word meters:
Book One. "Final Draft" complete at 89,690 words. We may eke the remaining 310 (or more) words out if there are last-minute touches that need to be added, but mostly, the thing is done.
Book Two. Currently at 50,510 words. I discovered yesterday that Word doesn't recognize the ellipsis (...) if you don't put a space between. In other words, it counts...this as one word, whereas this ... is two. Hmmm. So, either I cheated myself out of 202 words last year, or I'm cheating by upping my count by 202 words this year. We'll call it making up the difference, just for the sake of argument, how's that? No cheaters here, no sir, nuh-unh.
Got a note from the Best Friend the other day (hey, BF!). Some days I miss her so much it hurts. Living next door to each other for the years we did really spoiled us, but that was 30 years ago and we're still friends, so I figure God must have intended it that way. You've probably seen that email that circulates every so often about how people are brought into our lives for a "reason, a season or a lifetime". I've had all three in my nearly 40 years, and consider myself quite lucky that I have more "lifetime" friends now than I can count on one hand - all of whom I've mentioned here at one time or another. Are you so lucky? Do you have lifetime friends? If so, tell them you love them today.
It's good for you (and them).
I have to go find all those hats now.
=) JB

1 comment:
You go girl! I think the main thing with NaNoWriMo is just the focus and incentive. No matter how much you get done in the month you can feel a sense of accomplishment for having made this a priority in your schedule.
XO
S
Post a Comment