4.27.2006

A Bit on Blogs

There's a lot of stuff traveling around the 'Net about blogging. M.J. Rose has an eloquent commentary on the subject on her blog. Personally, if you care to hear my take on the subject, I'm not blogging to promote myself or sell my books. This is simply a way for me to get myself to concentrate on writing something every day. M.J. says that if a blog takes anything away from your writing, then you should concentrate on writing rather than blogging. If anything, my blogging gets my creative juices flowing, and I tend to get more accomplished because by the time I'm finished with the day's post I'm in the mood to write. A lot of times I am linked to my computer with an invisible chain that I have to work to free myself from for other obligations which demand my attention.

Warnings have been posted that you have to be careful about what you say on a blog, too, and I don't disagree with that, but the way I look at it, people who take the time to read my blog obviously have an interest in what might be on my mind at any given time, and for that I am bewildered but grateful. This is how I share a little of myself with my "fans" and fellow writers, especially now while I'm between books. When the next one comes out (Lord, please let that be before The Tall One graduates from college), I'll be on the marketing/promotion/signing circuit (I hope), and maybe someone will come up to me, ask me to sign their copy of my book, and say, "Hey, I read your blog and I really enjoy it." I'll let you know if that ever happens.

Hey, Girlfriends: Read Nancy Martin's post on today's Lipstick Chronicles. My best friend of 30 years is coming for a visit next weekend and I'm so excited I'm beside myself. Nancy's post is what having good friends is all about. And I certainly didn't mean to shove aside my other best friends by only mentioning this one in my comment - JT, WMVR, GP, Angelina - I love you all and couldn't do any of this without you. I hope you know that.

ROWE your boat: (Sorry, Brett.) Writing advice from the third "J." triplet. Excellent stuff.

Music of the Moment: First Suite in E-Flat for Military Band, Op. 28, No. 1 by Gustav Holst

Read a book. I stayed up until 1:30 this morning reading The Heat of the Moon. Staying up that late is not good for me. Reading the book is.

=) JB

9 comments:

Sign out said...

Hey! You have a blog! I'll be sure to bookmark it.

God bless!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your blog! Take care with what you write within these cyberpages, for more than you know look at them. That, and several other reasons keep me from expressing my thoughts for all of humanity (with a computer) to see. I've read them all (had to, to get your abbreviations), so I'm a JBT blog expert. Anyway, good luck, have fun, and be assured with your musical selections you would have never been the inspiration for "Bowling for Soup"'s song, "1985".
Love,

Uncle Kevy

Brett Battles said...

I'm with you J.B. My blog isn't so much a marketing tool (though to some extent I can't deny that it is) as it is a creative outlet that helps me keep things flowing.

Hey, that blog entry on that Brett guy's blog is pretty interesting. (Sorry, shameless self-promotion.)

Jennifer Brooks said...

Umm ... Uncle Kevy?

Yeah, are you kidding?? 1985 is my theme song! Just ask the kids. I AM Debbie, except for the Prozac, husband being a CPA (alas, I married a musician), and wanting to shake my @$$ on the hood of Whitesnake's car.

It was Rick Springfield.

The only reason I don't listen to that stuff while I'm writing is that anything with lyrics is too distracting. Classical either calms or motivates me, gets me in a good frame of mind for writing. ;)

Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to comment on any of my posts that inspire you to do so. That's what I'm here for.

Jennifer Brooks said...

Brett -

Shameless self-promotion is perfectly okay with me. We can give each other a virtual pat on the back.

You're always welcome here at the Mutual Admiration Society!

Anonymous said...

Tons of gems today, JB. And good advice from the peanut gallery.
Funny, I can't listen to music with lyrics while I write either. And they think we don't share a chip.
I really admire you (and Brett,) doing a daily blog. It takes me all week to get mine ready And then I still hate them after they're up.
Bummer, the word verification isn't dirty today...

Brett Battles said...

J.T., you crack me up.

Anonymous said...

There was one last week that was a random usage of the f-bomb. I loved it, especially since it was on Miss Sweet's blog here. (yes, JB, I've now outed you as being a sweet nice girl!)

Jennifer Brooks said...

Yikes! You did out me, didn't you?? Yes, that's right folks, the truth has now been told - I AM the Good Twin. Guess what that makes J.T.??

Bwahahahaha!

P.S. - Yeah, Brett, she does that to me, too. Constantly.