3.22.2006

The Influence of Music

We are a family of band geeks. And I say that proudly, of course. I started playing the clarinet in the 6th grade, picked up the bassoon in 7th and the saxophone my junior year in high school. My band directors had great influence on me, and I have a much deeper appreciation for music thanks to the mentoring of a man named David King. Mr. King was the ultimate high school band director, a strict disciplinarian who inspired his students to appreciate music even if they didn't love it.

The WGH and I met in our college marching band. At practice on the morning of the last game of the season my sophomore year, he tried to run over me with his snare drum. I knew at that moment that he was the man I was going to marry. (Okay, time for the collective, "Awwwwww....") Cheesey, I know. But it's the truth, I promise. So is the fact that two years later the assistant band director announced our engagement to the entire band during a rehearsal - nothing like sharing the news of your impending nuptials with 325 of your closest friends.

Our oldest daughter used to play the trombone. I think that's her grandparents' fault (they were both brass players, too). She gave up band when she discovered her athletic talent, which we can't find in the genes anywhere and consider a totally spiritual gift. Our son, hereinafter referred to as The Boy, plays the sax like me, only he's much, much, much more talented than I. The Boy has the perfect band geek personality - he's very cerebral (gee, wonder where he gets it), has an I-don't-give-a-blank attitude about what everyone thinks of him, but still has an image. Our youngest daughter is a percussionist - Daddy's little drummer girl. And she's built like a brick wall, so woe to he who says a girl can't play the drums.

At the moment Mozart is filling the study with Piano Sonata No. 11. I have commandeered The Boy's CD player - maybe the WGH will buy me one for my birthday (that's a hint, honey).

The writers' group meets tonight. I'm going to introduce them to the new character J.T. and I created and confuse the pee-willies out of them.

Read a book. Or listen to some music. Or do both.

=) JB

No comments: