3.29.2010

Spring Fever

Three years ago this month I posted an essay about tertiary characters called Daffodils, inspired by those dainty flowers that greeted me on one of my morning walks. This morning I saw them again - those infallible signs that spring is just around the corner - as well as a pair of Canadian geese winging their way northward, another sure sign that warm weather is headed our way. It's actually very pretty in Middle Tennessee today, with blue skies and sunshine galore. A perfect day to get things done.

It's been a month since I gave up the at-home job and I'm still not back into the routine I'd hoped to be in. The more I've thought about it, though, the more I realize that going from working 6 days a week to being a writer again is not going to happen overnight. You know, the whole Rome wasn't built in a day thing.

So I'm taking baby steps. A blog post here and there, some down time on my days off to recharge my batteries. Pages to writers' group - after several months of not taking anything, I did manage my 10-12 pages last week, and they weren't horrible. Not great, but not horrible. I'm somewhere around baby step number three, that is, sitting down and really starting to think about what I want to do with this story. It'll all come together at some point. I'll hit that epiphany and we'll go from there.

The Tall One is coming home for a few hours, and we're going to kidnap her little sister from school and have a girls' day out lunch for my birthday. After that, laundry and a bit of housecleaning, maybe a movie, and then some quality time in the study to see what I can do with this work in progress.

Think I might have to open a window, let the fragrances of spring come in and get those creative juices flowing again. At some point I hope to return to the previous level of quality substance I had achieved in the musings department. And I hope you'll stick around for that ...

In the meantime, read a book. It's good for you.

=) JB

No comments: