3.06.2010

All in a Day's Work

Never let the sense of past failure defeat your next step.
-- Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

Missing in action. Back in October, the WGH and I sat down and had a heart-to-heart about our financial situation. With two of our three brilliant offspring now in college, it became rather imperative that the Thompson household begin experiencing a little more influx in the way of fundage. Long story short, God dropped an opportunity in my lap to which I couldn't say no (because, ya know, you don't say 'no' to God, right?), and I took a second part-time job. I rearranged my at-home job schedule so that I was working 3 days a week at home and 3 days a week at a little family practice clinic not far from here.

As you can imagine, working 6 days a week doesn't leave much time to devote to the happier pursuits to which I had become accustomed: Writing. Blogging. Reading. Breathing.

I am a firm believer in the notion that everything happens for a reason, a credo I have expounded upon in many previous posts. Somewhere around Christmas, the second job became the first job and vice versa, and I found myself counting down the days to when I could drop the at-home job in favor of my sanity and actually have "days off" again. With the improvement in our financial situation, not to mention a nice little bonus from Uncle Sam, it seemed feasible that this might happen sooner rather than later.

Because I know how smart you are, you've guessed by now that that day has finally come. As of the end of February, I am no longer working 6 days a week, and I think there might actually be hope for me in my never-ending plans to be a writer. Again.

To wit, the Chief Cook & Bottle Washer has returned to the Lunch Room after the longest (and most unintentional) hiatus yet, here to impart my wit and wisdom upon the clamoring masses.

Cricket chirp. Cricket chirp.

Oh, wait, there you are. I see you at the door. C'mon in. I knew you wouldn't give up on me. And for that, the iced tea's on the house.

A summary of sorts. The last five months have been pretty much a blur from where I'm standing. Between family life and work and ... well, work, there hasn't been much going on in the JBTAuthor Study worth mentioning. Despite my woeful lack of productivity, however, the BMWs have stood loyally by, supporting and encouraging and understanding, and their efforts have sustained me through this dry spell so that I'm feeling a bit inspired. It's been a long time since I was excited about the WIP, but we're just about there again. My first week of freedom was marred by a bit of a head and chest cold (which the WGH was kind enough to pass along to me), but today is a beautiful, sunny albeit cool late winter Saturday, and I have big plans for the manuscript.

A little change couldn't hurt. By now I'm sure you've noticed the decor in the Lunch Room has changed a bit. In honor of the revamping of my study (i.e., the removal of the clunky old computer I've been doing the day job on for 5-1/2 years), I thought a little change of scenery might be nice for the blog.

I'm also not going to make any promises about how often I'll be stopping in. It's my hope and plan to be here at least once a week if not more, but best laid plans and all that ... we'll see how things go.

I do owe four lovely gentlemen the biggest apologies I can muster, but of course that's something best done privately. If said private apologies are accepted, we may have a few notable visitors returning to our little cafe in the not too distant future. As I said, best laid plans ...

It's really kind of funny how getting out of the house can get you back in it. I haven't spent much time in this room over the last 5 months because I've been spending too much time in here. I know that doesn't make sense to a lot of you, but to those of you who know me best, it will. For now, all I can say is it's good to be back, I'm glad you're here, and I hope you'll continue to check in once in a while.

Music of the moment. My trusted background theme music (if you have to ask, you haven't been here enough) is playing on the boom box, and I'm looking out at a bright blue sky with thanksgiving in my heart, a smile on my face, and murderous thoughts running around in my head.

And yeah, that's a good thing.

Read a book - that's a good thing too.

=) JB

No comments: