I've spent the last hour or so trolling, and here are a few gems I found amongst the rocks:
For writers. Today's New York Times has this very interesting article about some publishers' new marketing strategy of pre-publication promotion. Heh. To me, of course, considering my circle of friends, this is not a new concept: Pushing a New Writer Upstream.
Down to Two. Tonight's the night. More from the NYT:
FLORIDA 76, U.C.L.A. 66
Gators Top Bruins in Rematch and Earn Right to Another
By Lee Jenkins
After drubbing the Bruins in the national championship game 362 days ago, Florida beat them again Saturday night in the national semifinal.
OHIO STATE 67, GEORGETOWN 60
Timing Is Perfect for Oden and Buckeyes
By Pete Thamel
Ohio State Coach Thad Matta’s patience in substituting led to the defining swing in top-seeded Ohio State’s victory against Georgetown in the national semifinals on Saturday night.
My adopted team, the Buckeyes of The Ohio State University (yes, the "The" is part of the school's official name) will play [ahem] that other team for the National title. We're having pizza for dinner, mostly because I'll be too jittery to cook anything else.
Ooga-ooga! Huh? Yeah, I know, but I can't explain it. It's a writing thing. Just read my Wonder Twin's Murderati post from Friday, and you'll get the idea.
Kindred Spirit. I knew there was a reason JT and I adopted Brett Battles as our long-lost Triplet Brother. I found this post on his blog and had to smile simply because it's just SO something I would have done.
Wild woman. In addition to being sweeter than Southern tea, a phenomenally talented writer, and drop-dead gorgeous, Tasha Alexander is funny as all get-out.
On the Playground. I stopped by The Writing Playground simply because I hadn't been over there in a while and needed a little time on the swingset. Angel's introspective post from this morning caught my attention. Also for writers. Enjoy yourself!
The Weekend Wrap-Up. I'm not sure I surfaced for air much over the weekend, between a full day of writing, two shopping trips, birthday dinner, a soccer game, a basketball banquet and working the day-job. I didn't even get the chance to call my parents on Saturday to wish them a Happy Anniversary. (Bad daughter. Go to your room and don't come out until I tell you!)
We lost the soccer game - it wasn't pretty. Little Bit got tough on one of the kids from the other team, though. He was putting his hands on her - in places they shouldn't have been - and she told him off, charged him, and made him trip over his own feet. She said it was worth the penalty (she got called for a push, not for what she said - we're not sure whether the ref heard her or not, but he's a friend of the family so we think he may have let it slide, anyway). Fortunately, her teammate playing goalie at the time made a spectacular save on the penalty shot, so it didn't cost them any more than they were already losing by. I told you it wasn't pretty.
The Tall One was honored with the Defensive Player of the Year award. She was a little surprised by that, but with everything the coach said about why she'd earned it, it made a lot of sense. You don't even really have to know much about basketball to know a kid 6'4" can make a difference on defense (blocked shots and forcing a lot of adjustments on the offense, for starters). I'm so proud of her. And no, we still don't know anything definite about college plans, but we did find out the other day that the school she was interested in is apparently still interested in her, so we're in sit-back-and-wait mode ... again.
Dinner at Mikado. JT, her sweet hubby, the WGH and I went to a Japanese steakhouse for my birthday dinner Friday night. Lovely. She gave me a copy of Steven King's On Writing as a gift. Brilliant stuff. Every writer should read this book. I mean it. Every single one of you. Go ... now ... and buy a copy. Your favorite local bookstore, Amazon, wherever. Just get it.
Spring has sprung. Can't believe it's April already. My dwarf rhodies are just about in full bloom, and we have an azalea that will look like a fire bush in a couple of days. And the grass is so GREEN it's refreshing just to look at it.
I guess that's enough wit and wisdom for one day. The to-do list awaits.
Read a book. It's good for you.
=) JB
Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers.
-- Hans Christian Andersen, Danish poet and novelist (1805-1875)

No comments:
Post a Comment