I'm beginning to enjoy this "A year ago, I said ..." business. Today is the World's Most Voracious Reader's birthday. In the recent past, the WMVR's life has had more ups and downs than a roller coaster. It amazes and inspires me how she can keep her spirits up through all of it, but she's a testimony to the old adage, "That which don't kill us makes us stronger." It would just be nice if something could go really, really right for her. Something to lift her spirits from the outside so that all her internal energy isn't exhausted. That's my prayer for her today. Happy Birthday, T!
Be glad you don't live with me. I keep trying to burn the house down. Praise God the WGH was home last night when Little Bit's light switch start crackling and smoking. Nothing smells worse than something electrical shorting out and "burning". (There was no actual fire, so please don't panic.) The WGH high-tailed it to the basement and killed the circuit breaker for that section of the house, then came back upstairs and proceeded to remove the offending switch-box. The switch has actually been crackling a little for several days. I forgot to mention it.
Last night as we were crawling into bed (after the trip to Lowe's and replacement of the switch), he said, "We need to start writing stuff like that down."
By "we", of course, he means me.
At my next checkup, I promise to talk with my doctor about my short-term memory dysfunction. Promise. I'll even write it down.
Another progress report. Yesterday I got on this major roll and managed to make it down to the bottom third of page 2 on the synopsis - and added 2,131 words to the manuscript. I knew it would eventually hit that apex, from which I would start the downhill run toward the end and things would really start picking up speed.
Now it just needs some serious editing.
Do you do that, as a writer? I mean, do you dive into your story and just write with everything flowing onto the page ... furiously write just to get the ideas and the story on paper ... and then go back over it and edit it to shreds? I do that. The 2,100 words I wrote yesterday will probably be, at some point, pared down to the range of about 2,000, just because there's stuff I know I put in there that might not necessarily need be. Especially with the anomaly that this book is supposed to be - totally different. A different type of story. I'm following the synopsis, like JT suggested, but it's turning out to be more of me writing the same old stuff. So, in the editing process, I'm going to keep the turkey and change the trimmings.
Today I need to do some other things, so I'm not sure how much writing time will fit into my schedule. I will write something, sometime. Somehow.
Because that's what I do (see yesterday's post).
Read a book. It's good for you.
=) JB
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think we need to get you "Burning Down the House" for your birthday...
Now get back to work ;)
xo
Post a Comment