11.05.2007

Derailed

A man said to the universe: "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe, "The fact
has not created in me a sense of obligation."
-- Stephen Crane, US writer (1871-1900)

Sigh.

Someone, or something, is determined to prevent me from writing.

After all the wind and smoke I blew about how Friday was going to be the day that I was going to get some serious work done on the manuscript, I was struck down by one whale of a migraine headache. I got all my errands run, but by the time I got home my skull was throbbing fit to burst with that white-hot, stabbing, blinding pain in my left temple. I took drugs and went to bed. Even missed the ball game Friday night, choosing instead to stay home and nurse my aches with a nice bowl of popcorn and You've Got Mail on the VCR.

By Saturday morning I was functional again, but that day, of course, was the Division II State Marching Band Championships. So I picked up The Tall One and the two of us spent the better part of the day in the sunshine and fresh air (yes, my face is cooked) watching high school marching bands perform. Tons of fun, but again, no writing time. (I might mention at this point that the reason I went to the band thing is that The Boy is in our band, and they went. Yep, doing the Mom thing.)

Yesterday it was church and work. Today, the WGH went off and left his wallet in my car, and I had to drive into town to take it to him because the poor fella didn't have enough gas in his truck to make it home - plus he had to be back in town for a rehearsal, anyway. And storms. Ugly weather zooming through the area. I put dinner together and watched the news and now it's 5:30 and I still haven't written anything.

I'm telling you, something is against me here.

Okay, here's the part where the little cheerleaders all jump up and down, wave their pom-pons in the air and start screaming at the tops of their lungs - "YOU can DO it!!! Go, go, go, go!!" And I hear them. Far in the distance, like a homing signal, I hear them.

We'll try this again tomorrow and see how it goes. I have a deadline. JT is on me. Tasha is on me. I will have this manuscript finished, edited and ready to submit by the middle of December.

And whatever's in my way better get the heck out, 'cause I ain't havin' any of it.

So there.

Read a book. I'll let you in on mine when it's finished.

=) JB

No comments: